Monday, June 3, 2013

Penelopy



On a hot day, my brother, Jake, noticed a nest in our back yard! Soon we saw a bird in that nest. We named her Penelopy. My mom thought she was a dove. She had big beautiful eyes, black spots on her wings, and a strip of blue running down her back.





Photo by Abbey


A few weeks later, I spotted two other birds in the nest. How do you think they got there? Do you think they are her babies?

Photo by Sarah (my mom)
 
When I went outside to check on Penelopy, she wasn't there and neither were the two birds, but I saw somthing else that took my breath away.
 
Photo by Abbey
 
AN EGG!
 
Sadly, later in the week we couldn't find the egg, Penelopy, or the two birds. :(  Maybe a preditor ate the egg; maybe it hatched and flew away, or maybe Penelopy took it somewhere. I didn't know because there was no egg shell to be seen or found.
 
 
Have you ever experianced something like this?
Where did the two other birds come from?
What do you think happend to the egg?
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Abbey,

    How cute! They two birds looked very doting as the parent birds took the time to build a nest. Lets hope that the egg hatched into a baby bird.

    My parents often have nests on one of their trees in their yard. Often times we see baby birds squawking for food. Soon the babies are ready to fly out and that is when the trouble begins. Some of the birds successfully fly out of the nest, while others fall out and can't get back up. Nature has a way of teaching us a lesson that only the strongest survive, but as humans we have an obligation to take care of and be respectful of nature.

    I look forward to more great posts from you. The photos you took were great.

    Best,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete